Denim Tears was launched in 2020 by Tremaine Emory, a well-known designer who you may also know as the current creative director of Supreme. Considering its global prominence, Denim Tears hasn’t been around for very long. Emory is a guy of many homes; he was born in Atlanta, was reared in New York, and has lived in the UK for a chunk of his adult life. Denim Tears, however, has been most strongly affected by his American heritage.
Emory got his start in the industry by working at Marc Jacobs, but he soon realised he could take the reins on his own. As a result, he co-founded No Vacancy Inn in 2015 and Denim Tears five years later. He’s been a friend and counsellor to many well-known people, like Tom Sachs, Virgil Abloh, and Frank Ocean, among others, but he’s finally used his stature and that of his brand for something bigger than celebrity.
What is unique about Denim Tears?
Fashion company Denim Tears has a weighty message at its core. Since its inception in 2020, the brand has been making clothing for a good purpose. It was initially founded in an effort to fight racism and oppression in America. Emory uses cotton as a main component in his designs, and he has revealed that the idea behind Denim Tears was to present these cotton-based outfits in a way that would challenge the traditional American perspective of the cotton trade, which has its roots in slavery.
Emory aims to convey a message with each item in his collections by using recurring motifs and symbols. The cotton wreath pattern appears frequently in all of Denim Tears’ designs, including the footwear created in partnership with Dior, and is meant to represent the struggle of black people in the cotton trade and in modern-day America.
Well known collaborations
Denim Tears is renowned for its ability to combine its engrained moral message with the aesthetics of other brands and designers, such as Converse, Levi’s, and more recently Dior, having worked with a variety of companies over the past couple of years. A clothing line with Stussy is in the works, and it will definitely express the same ideas of luxury, style, and — most importantly — the equality message that Denim Tears has been successfully promoting since 2020.
Unique Properties of Denim Tears
The following distinguishing characteristics apply to denim tears:
- Natural appearance: Tears in denim have a genuine, natural appearance.
- Durability: Denim is renowned for its toughness; even when torn, it retains its shape.
- Comfort: Denim is a soft fabric that is comfortable to wear, even after it has been torn.
- Versatility: Tears can give every ensemble a distinctive edge, and denim can be dressed up or down.
- Patina: Over time, denim will acquire a distinct patina, which may include tears and give the fabric more personality.
How to style Denim Tears
Here are a few ideas for wearing apparel made of denim tears:
- Casual: For a laid-back appearance, wear a plain t-shirt or hoodie with ripped denim jeans.
- Edgy: For an edgy appearance, pair ripped denim with a leather jacket, boots, and striking accessories.
- Dress up ripped jeans with a blouse and heels for a stylish, put-together appearance.
- Streetwear: Combine ripped jeans, an oversized graphic tee, and sneakers to create a streetwear ensemble.
- Boho: Create a bohemian-inspired outfit by pairing shredded jeans with flowing blouses, bold jewellery, and ankle boots.
Because of the laid-back yet hip look that it imparts to an outfit as a whole, denim tears are favoured by a significant number of fashion fans. The right things are making it popular at the appropriate times.